Friday, September 28, 2012

Geocaching

I bought a new GPS today, the Magellan eXplorist GC, 100% dedicated to geocaching.  I haven't really used it much yet.  But so far not exactly thrilled about:
  • Yes, it preloads geocaches, but they are from everywhere and not just the ones near you.  So you need to download geocaches from geocaching.com and add them to the device.
  • It also is not very Mac friendly.  Fortunately, I'm a Mac user with Virtual Box and Windows installed on my Virtual Box, but it's a pain to open Virtual Box and download from there.  On Mac you can only add one geocache at a time...meaning you have to disconnect the device from the computer then re-connect after each download...annoying.
  • You can't manually add in coordinates, that coupled with having to download new caches takes the spontaneity out of geocaching.  I'm usually out and then spontaneously decide to try to find a cache.
But really, I'm not sure if any of the other handheld ones would allow me to do any of the things this device doesn't do... :-\

I'll test it's accuracy vs. my iPhone4s' accuracy tomorrow and then determine if I will return it or not.  I have 60days to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment