Sunday, August 4, 2013

New England lobster and clam bake



I had make a lobster dinner for someone tonight, and no I didn't lose a bet, so I decided to go all out and have a traditional New England lobster bake.  A few things I found out about lobster while searching for recipes and serving suggestions:

  1. Lobster used to be considered a poor man's food
  2. As a result many of the traditional side dishes are also poor man's food
  3. A New England lobster clam bake is like a good old fashioned BBQ anywhere else in the country
  4. Clams are soooo easy to cook!
  5. Doing everything at home cost about $20/person
  6. I want to do this again!
  7. Making a baked potato is really easy too!
  8. A large baked potato (pre toppings) can have as many calories as a 6oz sirloin steak
Ok, so here's what I did:
Baked potato
Preheat oven to 400ºF
Place potatoes on oven tray, drizzle with olive oil and salt to taste
Place potatoes in oven for 75 min or until done
Remove and slice part way in the center
Garnish as desired, I used scallions

Lobster tails
Boil a large pot of water (enough for your lobster tails) you can add salt to the water if you like
Throw the tails in and cook for about 4-5min if fresh and about 10min if frozen
Melt butter and add shredded garlic for extra flavor

Clams
I used this recipe for the clams, but I used waaaaaaayyyyyyyy less butter than it suggested, I added lemon juice and shredded garlic to the water.
http://reluctantgourmet.com/component/k2/item/570:how-to-prepare-a-new-england-lobster-bake

I also served corn on the cob cooked in water on the stove, baked beans from Trader Joe's, and dinner rolls

A lot of lobster and clam bakes through everything (lobster, clams, corn, potatoes) in the same pot to cook together, but I don't like my corn and potatoes tasting like my clams and lobster so I cooked everything separately and served in separate dishes like the picture above.

No comments:

Post a Comment