Saturday, August 3, 2013

Heart of Darkness still sucks



I finally finished re-reading Joseph Conrad's the Heart of Darkness after reading it in high school many many years ago.  I even used the free Audible Books narration by Kenneth Branagh.  All I can saw is, the horror, the horror that is that book.  It was almost as awful and unbearable as it was when I was 17.  Why is this book a classic?  And why are highschool children forced to read it?  I'm curious to see if Joseph Conrad is just one of those authors that I just don't like even though many other people do, like Hemingway.  I've never read another Conrad book, maybe I should, just to see if I don't like his style or just the Heart of Darkness.  I did appreciate the book slightly more than when I was in highschool, but it was still unbearably dull...even with Kenneth Branagh's amazing voice.  I do want to watch Apocalypse Now, though.  I wonder if Netflix has it on instant watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment